Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, as used in this chapter—
(1) the terms "elementary education" and "secondary education" have the meaning given such terms under State law;
(2) the term "high-need local educational agency" means a local educational agency—
(A) that serves not fewer than 10,000 children from families with incomes below the poverty line; or
(B) for which not less than 20 percent of the children served by the agency are from families with incomes below the poverty line;
(3) the term "institution of higher education" has the meaning given such term in section 1001 of this title;
(4) the term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Education;
(5) the term "State" means each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; and
(6) any other term used that is defined in section 7801 of this title shall have the meaning given the term in such section.
References in Text
Section 7801 of this title, referred to in par. (6), was in the original a reference to section 9101 of Pub. L. 89–10, which was renumbered section 8101 by Pub. L. 114–95, title VIII, §8001(a)(1), Dec. 10, 2015, 129 Stat. 2089.1 See References in Text note below.