(a) Agreements required
(1) The Secretary is authorized to enter into agreements with eligible institutions under which such institution may use not more than 10 percent or $75,000 of its allotment under section 1087–52 of this title, whichever is less, to establish or expand a program under which such institution, separately or in combination with other eligible institutions, locates and develops jobs, including community service jobs, for currently enrolled students.
(2) Jobs located and developed under this section shall be jobs that are suitable to the scheduling and other needs of such students and that, to the maximum extent practicable, complement and reinforce the educational programs or vocational goals of such students.
(b) Contents of agreements
Agreements under subsection (a) of this section shall—
(1) provide that the Federal share of the cost of any program under this section will not exceed 80 percent of such cost;
(2) provide satisfactory assurance that funds available under this section will not be used to locate or develop jobs at an eligible institution;
(3) provide satisfactory assurance that funds available under this section will not be used for the location or development of jobs for students to obtain upon graduation, but rather for the location and development of jobs available to students during and between periods of attendance at such institution;
(4) provide satisfactory assurance that the location or development of jobs pursuant to programs assisted under this section will not result in the displacement of employed workers or impair existing contracts for services;
(5) provide satisfactory assurance that Federal funds used for the purpose of this section can realistically be expected to help generate student wages exceeding, in the aggregate, the amount of such funds, and that if such funds are used to contract with another organization, appropriate performance standards are part of such contract; and
(6) provide that the institution will submit to the Secretary an annual report on the uses made of funds provided under this section and an evaluation of the effectiveness of such program in benefiting the students of such institution.
Section was formerly classified to section 2756 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare, prior to transfer to this section. See note below.
Section was originally enacted as section 126 of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964, Pub. L. 88–452, at which time it was classified to section 2756 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare. It was renumbered as section 446 of title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, Pub. L. 89–329, by Pub. L. 90–575, §131(a), (b)(2), and later editorially transferred to this section to merge with the rest of the Act, which is classified to this chapter. For complete credit information on acts affecting this section prior to Pub. L. 99–498, see Prior Provisions note below.
A prior section 446 of Pub. L. 89–329, title IV, formerly Pub. L. 88–452, title I, §126, Aug. 20, 1964, 78 Stat. 516; Pub. L. 89–329, title IV, §441(1), Nov. 8, 1965, 79 Stat. 1249; renumbered Pub. L. 89–329, title IV, §446, and amended Pub. L. 90–575, title I, §§131(a), (b)(2), 133(a), Oct. 16, 1968, 82 Stat. 1028, 1029; Pub. L. 94–43, §2, June 28, 1975, 89 Stat. 233; Pub. L. 96–374, title IV, §435, title XIII, §1391(a)(1), Oct. 3, 1980, 94 Stat. 1435, 1503, related to equitable distribution of assistance, prior to the general revision of this part by Pub. L. 99–498.
Provisions similar to this section were contained in section 1087–57 of this title prior to the general revision of this part by Pub. L. 99–498.
2008—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 110–315 substituted "$75,000" for "$50,000".
1992—Pub. L. 102–325 amended section generally, restating subsecs. (a) and (b) with changes in substance and structure and striking out subsec. (c) which defined "community services".
1987—Subsec. (b)(3) to (7). Pub. L. 100–50 redesignated pars. (4) to (7) as (3) to (6), respectively, and struck out former par. (3) which read as follows: "provide satisfactory assurance that the institution will continue to spend in its own job location and development programs, from sources other than funds received under this section, not less than the average expenditures per year made during the most recent 3 fiscal years preceding the effective date of the agreement;".
Effective Date of 1992 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 102–325 effective Oct. 1, 1992, see section 2 of Pub. L. 102–325, set out as a note under section 1001 of this title.
Effective Date of 1987 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 100–50 effective as if enacted as part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1986, Pub. L. 99–498, see section 27 of Pub. L. 100–50, set out as a note under section 1001 of this title.
Section applicable to periods of enrollment beginning on or after July 1, 1987, see section 403(b)(2) of Pub. L. 99–498, set out as a note under section 1087–53 of this title.