For purposes of this subchapter—
(1) the term "endowment fund" means a fund, or a tax exempt foundation, established and maintained by Howard University for the purpose of generating income for its support, but which shall not include real estate;
(2) the term "endowment fund corpus" means an amount equal to the grants awarded under this subchapter plus an amount equal to such grants provided by Howard University;
(3) the term "endowment fund income" means an amount equal to the total value of the endowment fund established under this subchapter minus the endowment fund corpus;
(4) the term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Education; and
(5) the term "University" means the Howard University established by the Act of March 2, 1867.
References in Text
Act of March 2, 1867, referred to in par. (5), is act Mar. 2, 1867, ch. 162, 14 Stat. 438, as amended. Section 8 of this Act is classified to section 123 of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables.
Pub. L. 98–480, title II, §209, Oct. 17, 1984, 98 Stat. 2247, provided that: "This title [see Short Title note below] shall take effect on October 1, 1984."
Pub. L. 98–480, title II, §201, Oct. 17, 1984, 98 Stat. 2245, provided that: "This title [enacting this subchapter, amending section 123 of this title, and enacting provisions set out as a note above] may be cited as the 'Howard University Endowment Act'."