(a) Regulations; receipt of money and other property; compensation of personnel; services of experts and consultants; contracts; payments
In addition to any authority vested in it by other provisions of this subchapter, the Librarian of Congress, in carrying out the Center's functions, is authorized to—
(1) prescribe such regulations as he deems necessary;
(2) receive money and other property donated, bequeathed, or devised, without condition or restriction other than that it be for the purposes of the Center and to use, sell, or otherwise dispose of such property for the purpose of carrying out its functions, without reference to Federal property disposal statutes;
(3) in the discretion of the Board of Trustees, receive (and use, sell, or otherwise dispose of, in accordance with clause (2)) money and other property donated, bequeathed, or devised to the Center with a condition or restriction, including a condition that the Center use other funds of the Center for the purpose of the gift;
(4) appoint and fix the compensation of such personnel as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this subchapter in accordance with the provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of title 5 relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates, except that the Librarian of Congress may appoint and fix the compensation of a reasonable number of personnel without regard to the provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of title 5 relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates;
(5) obtain the services of experts and consultants in accordance with the provisions of section 3109 of title 5;
(6) accept and utilize the services of voluntary and noncompensated personnel and reimburse them for travel expenses, including per diem, as authorized by section 5703 of title 5;
(7) enter into contracts to carry out the provisions of this subchapter, and such contracts may, with the concurrence of two-thirds of the members of the Board, be entered into without performance or other bonds and in conformity with section 6101 of title 41; and
(8) make advances, progress, and other payments which the Board deems necessary under this subchapter in conformity with the provisions of section 3324(a) and (b) of title 31.
(b) Annual report to Congress
The Director shall submit to the Librarian for inclusion in the annual report of the Library of Congress to the Congress an annual report of the operations of the Center under this subchapter, which shall include a detailed statement of all private and public funds received and expended by it, and such recommendations as the Center deems appropriate.
In subsec. (a)(7), "section 6101 of title 41" substituted for "section 3709 of the Revised Statutes, as amended (41 U.S.C. 5)" on authority of Pub. L. 111–350, §6(c), Jan. 4, 2011, 124 Stat. 3854, which Act enacted Title 41, Public Contracts.
In subsec. (a)(8), "section 3324(a) and (b) of title 31" substituted for "section 3648 of the Revised Statutes, as amended (31 U.S.C. 529)" on authority of Pub. L. 97–258, §4(b), Sept. 13, 1982, 96 Stat. 1067, the first section of which enacted Title 31, Money and Finance.
1998—Subsec. (a)(4). Pub. L. 105–275 struck out before semicolon at end ", but no individual so appointed shall receive compensation in excess of the rate received by the Deputy Director of the Center".