Each student awarded a fellowship under this chapter shall demonstrate the potential, and a serious intention, to follow a career of educating students in secondary schools. Each institution of higher education at which such a student is in attendance shall make reasonable efforts to encourage such a student to meet the objectives of this section.
Each student receiving a Fellowship under this chaptershall enter into an agreement under which the recipient shall:
(a) within a 5-year period after completing the education for which the fellowship was awarded, teach on a full-time basis students in secondary school for a period of not less than one year for each year for which asistancewas received;
(b) repay all of the Fellowship assistance received plus interest at the rate of 6% per annum and, if applicable, reasonable collection fees for each school year for which assistance was received for which such recipient failed to teach as provided in paragraph (a); and
(c) not be considered to be in violation of the agreement entered into during any period during which the recipient:
(1) is pursuing a full-time course of study related to the field of teaching at an eligible institution;
(2) is serving, not in excess of 3 years, as a member of the armed services of the United States;
(3) is temporarily totally disabled for a period of time not to exceed 3 years as established by sworn affidavit of a qualified physician;
(4) is unable to secure employment for a period not to exceed 12 months by reason of the care required by a spouse who is disabled;
(5) is seeking and unable to find full-time employment for a single period not to exceed 12 months; or
(6) is seeking and unable to find full-time employment as a teacher.
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in provisions preceding par. (a), was in the original "this Act" and was translated as reading "this title" meaning title VIII of section 101(b) of Pub. L. 99–500 and Pub. L. 99–591 which enacted this chapter, to reflect the probable intent of Congress.
Pub. L. 99–591 is a corrected version of Pub. L. 99–500.1 See References in Text note below. 2 So in original. Probably should be "assistance".