(1) assesses the status of dedicated short-range communications technology and applications developed through research and development;
(2) analyzes the known and potential gaps in short-range communications technology and applications;
(3) defines a recommended implementation path for dedicated short-range communications technology and applications that—
(A) is based on the assessment described in paragraph (1); and
(B) takes into account the analysis described in paragraph (2);
(4) includes guidance on the relationship of the proposed deployment of dedicated short-range communications to the National ITS Architecture and ITS Standards; and
(5) ensures competition by not preferencing the use of any particular frequency for vehicle to infrastructure operations.
2015—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 114–94, in introductory provisions, substituted "Not later than July 6, 2016, the Secretary shall make available to the public on a Department of Transportation website a report" for "Not later than 3 years after the date of enactment of this section, the Secretary shall submit to the Committees on Commerce, Science, and Transportation and Environment and Public Works of the Senate and the Committees on Transportation and Infrastructure, Energy and Commerce, and Science, Space, and Technology of the House of Representatives".