(a) Section 7507 applies to any national bank, or bank or trust company organized under State law, a substantial portion of the business of which consists of receiving deposits and making loans and discounts, and which has—
(1) Ceased to do business by reason of insolvency or bankruptcy, or
(2) Been released or discharged from its liability to its depositors for any part of their deposit claims, and the depositors have accepted in lieu thereof a lien upon its subsequent earnings or claims against its assets either (i) segregated and held by it for benefit of the depositors or (ii) transferred to an individual or corporate trustee or agent who liquidates, holds or operates the assets for the benefit of the depositors.
(b) As used in this section and §§301.7507-2 to 301.7507-11, inclusive:
(1) The term bank, unless otherwise indicated by the context, means any national bank, or bank or trust company organized under State law, within the scope of section 7507.
(2) The terms statute of limitations and limitations mean all applicable provisions of law (including section 7507) which impose, change, or affect the limitations, conditions, or requirements relative to the allowance of refunds and abatements or the assessment or collection of tax, as the case may be.
(3) The term segregated assets includes transferred or trusteed assets, or assets set aside or earmarked, to all or a portion of which, or the proceeds of which, the depositors are absolutely or conditionally entitled.
(4) The term ceased to do business means the bank no longer accepts deposits or makes loans and discounts, and is winding up its affairs and is in the process of liquidating its assets to pay depositors. A bank will not be considered to have ceased to do business on account of a transaction in which the bank—
(i) Transfers assets and liabilities to a Bridge Bank in a transfer described in §1.597-4 of this chapter;
(ii) Transfers assets and liabilities to any person in a transaction to which section 381(a) applies or in which the transferee receives property with a transferred basis;
(iii) Transfers assets or liabilities to any person in a transaction in which Federal Financial Assistance (as defined in section 597) is provided to any party to the transaction, unless all the Federal Financial Assistance is deposit insurance under §301.7507-9(d); or
(iv) Transfers assets or liabilities to any person in a transaction similar to any transaction described in paragraphs (b)(4)(i) through (iii) of this section. This paragraph (b)(4) applies to taxable years ending on or after April 22, 1992.
[32 FR 15241, Nov. 3, 1967, as amended by T.D. 8641, 60 FR 66105, Dec. 21, 1995]