In the case of any payment of tax under section 4041 (a)(1) or (a)(2) (diesel fuel and special fuels tax) or under chapter 32 (manufacturers tax) that is determined to be an overpayment by reason of certain exportations, uses, sales, or resales described in section 6416(b)(2) and §48.6416(b)(2)-2, the person who paid the tax may file a claim for refund of the overpayment or, in the case of overpayments under chapter 32, may claim credit for the overpayment on any return of tax under this subpart which the person subsequently files. However, under the circumstances described in section 6416(c) and §48.6416(e)-1, the overpayments under chapter 32 may be refunded to an exporter or shipper. No interest shall be paid on any credit or refund allowed under this section. For provisions relating to the evidence required in support of a claim for credit or refund under this section, see §301.6402-2 of this chapter (Regulations on Procedure and Administration) and §§48.6416(b)(2)-3 and 48.6416(b)(2)-4. For provisions authorizing the taking of a credit in lieu of filing a claim for refund, see section 6416(d) and §48.6416(f)-1.

[T.D. 8043, 50 FR 32026, Aug. 8, 1985, as amended by T.D. 8879, 65 FR 17160, Mar. 31, 2000]

Tried the LawStack mobile app?

Join thousands and try LawStack mobile for FREE today.

  • Carry the law offline, wherever you go.
  • Download CFR, USC, rules, and state law to your mobile device.