In this chapter:
(1) The term "contract" has the same meaning as "procurement contract" in section 6303 of title 31.
(2) The term "cooperative agreement" has the same meaning as in section 6305 of title 31.
(3) The term "eligible entity" means—
(A) a research or educational entity chartered or incorporated under Federal or State law;
(B) an individual who is a United States citizen; or
(C) a State or regional agency.
(4) The term "grant" has the same meaning as "grant agreement" in section 6304 of title 31.
(5) The term "in-kind contribution" means a noncash contribution provided by a non-Federal entity that directly benefits and is related to a specific project or program. An in-kind contribution may include real property, equipment, supplies, other expendable property, goods, and services.
(6) The term "marine mineral resource" means—
(A) sand and aggregates;
(D) manganese nodules;
(E) cobalt crusts;
(F) metal sulfides;
(G) for purposes of this section and sections 1902 through 1905 of this title only, methane hydrate; and
(H) other marine resources that are not—
(i) oil and gas;
(ii) fisheries; or
(iii) marine mammals.
(7) The term "methane hydrate" means—
(A) a methane clathrate that is in the form of a methane-water ice-like crystalline material and is stable and occurs naturally in deep-ocean and permafrost areas; and
(B) other natural gas hydrates found in association with deep-ocean and permafrost deposits of methane hydrate.
(8) The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Interior.
2000—Par. (6)(G), (H). Pub. L. 106–193, §4(1), added subpar. (G) and redesignated former subpar. (G) as (H).
Pars. (7), (8). Pub. L. 106–193, §4(2), (3), added par. (7) and redesignated former par. (7) as (8).
Pub. L. 104–325, §1, Oct. 19, 1996, 110 Stat. 3994, provided that: "This Act [enacting this chapter] may be cited as the 'Marine Mineral Resources Research Act of 1996'."