(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title or of any other law and subject to sections 3485(e) and 5302 of this title, interest and administrative costs (as described in subsections (b) and (c) of this section) shall be charged, under regulations which the Secretary shall prescribe, on any amount owed to the United States—
(1) for an indebtedness resulting from a person's participation in a benefits program administered by the Secretary other than a loan, loan-guaranty, or loan-insurance program;
(2) for an indebtedness resulting from the provision of care or services under chapter 17 of this title; or
(3) to the extent not precluded by the terms of the loan instruments concerned, for an indebtedness resulting from a person's participation in a program of loans, loan guaranties, or loan insurance administered by the Secretary under this title.
(1) Interest on the amount of any indebtedness described in subsection (a) of this section shall accrue from the day on which the initial notification of the amount due is mailed to the person who owes such amount (using the most current address of such person that is available to the Secretary), but interest under this section shall not be charged (A) for any period before October 17, 1980, or (B) if the amount due is paid within a reasonable period of time. The Secretary shall, in the regulations prescribed pursuant to subsection (a) of this section, prescribe what constitutes a reasonable period of time for payment of an indebtedness after the initial notification of indebtedness has been mailed.
(2) The rate of interest to be charged under this section shall be based on the rate of interest paid by the United States for its borrowing and shall be determined by the Secretary under such regulations.
(c) The administrative costs to be charged under this section with respect to an amount owed to the United States shall be so much of the costs incurred by the United States in collecting such amount as the Secretary determines, under such regulations, to be reasonable and appropriate.
1998—Subsec. (b)(1). Pub. L. 105–368 substituted "October 17, 1980," for "the date of the enactment of this section,".
1991—Pub. L. 102–40, §402(b)(1), renumbered section 3115 of this title as this section.
Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 102–83, §5(c)(1), substituted "3485(e)" for "1685(e)" in introductory provisions.
Pub. L. 102–83, §4(b)(1), (2)(E), substituted "Secretary" for "Administrator" in introductory provisions.
Pub. L. 102–83, §4(a)(1), substituted "administered by the Secretary" for "administered by the Veterans' Administration" in pars. (1) and (3).
Pub. L. 102–40, §402(d)(1), substituted "5302" for "3102" in introductory provisions.
Pub. L. 102–16 substituted "sections 1685(e) and 3102" for "section 3102" in introductory provisions.
Subsecs. (b), (c). Pub. L. 102–83, §4(b)(1), (2)(E), substituted "Secretary" for "Administrator" wherever appearing.
Section effective Oct. 1, 1980, except as otherwise specifically provided, see section 802(f) of Pub. L. 96–466, set out as a note under section 5314 of this title.