(1) the outreach services program authorized by this chapter is for the purpose of ensuring that all veterans (especially those who have been recently discharged or released from active military, naval, or air service, or from a reserve component, and those who are eligible for readjustment or other benefits and services under laws administered by the Department) are provided timely and appropriate assistance to aid and encourage them in applying for and obtaining such benefits and services in order that they may achieve a rapid social and economic readjustment to civilian life and obtain a higher standard of living for themselves and their dependents; and
(2) the outreach services program authorized by this chapter is for the purpose of charging the Department with the affirmative duty of seeking out eligible veterans and eligible dependents and providing them with such services.
(1) the term "outreach" means the act or process of reaching out in a systematic manner to proactively provide information, services, and benefits counseling to veterans, and to the spouses, children, and parents of veterans who may be eligible to receive benefits under the laws administered by the Secretary, to ensure that such individuals are fully informed about, and receive assistance in applying for, such benefits;
(2) the term "other governmental programs" includes all programs under State or local laws as well as all programs under Federal law other than those authorized by this title; and
(3) the term "eligible dependent" means a spouse, surviving spouse, child, or dependent parent of a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service.
Provisions similar to those in this section were contained in section 7721 of this title prior to repeal by Pub. L. 109–233.
2008—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 110–181, §1710(a), inserted ", or from a reserve component," after "active military, naval, or air service".
Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 110–181, §1710(b), added par. (1) and redesignated former pars. (1) and (2) as (2) and (3), respectively.