(a) In carrying out the Secretary's functions under section 7302 of this title with regard to the training of health personnel, the Secretary shall implement a program under which the Secretary shall designate as Regional Medical Education Centers such Department hospitals as the Secretary determines appropriate to carry out the provisions of this subchapter.
(b) Each Regional Medical Education Center (hereinafter in this subchapter referred to as "Center") designated under subsection (a) shall provide continuing medical and related education programs for personnel eligible for training under this subchapter. Such programs shall include the following:
(1) The teaching of newly developed medical skills and the use of newly developed medical technologies and equipment.
(2) Advanced clinical instruction.
(3) The opportunity for conducting clinical investigations.
(4) Clinical demonstrations in the use of new types of health personnel and in the better use of the skills of existing health personnel.
(5) Routine verification of basic medical skills and, where determined necessary, remediation of any deficiency in such skills.
Provisions similar to those in this section were contained in section 4121 of this title prior to the repeal of that section as part of the complete revision of chapter 73 of this title by Pub. L. 102–40.