(a) Consultation and cooperation
The Governor of a State, or the governing body of an affected Indian tribe, notified of a site identification under section 10193 of this title shall have the right to participate in a process of consultation and cooperation as soon as the site involved has been identified pursuant to such section and throughout the life of the test and evaluation facility. For purposes of this section, the term "process of consultation and cooperation" means a methodology—
(1) by which the Secretary—
(A) keeps the Governor or governing body involved fully and currently informed about any potential economic or public health and safety impacts in all stages of the siting, development, construction, and operation of a test and evaluation facility;
(B) solicits, receives, and evaluates concerns and objections of such Governor or governing body with regard to such test and evaluation facility on an ongoing basis; and
(C) works diligently and cooperatively to resolve such concerns and objections; and
(2) by which the State or affected Indian tribe involved can exercise reasonable independent monitoring and testing of onsite activities related to all stages of the siting, development, construction and operation of the test and evaluation facility, except that any such monitoring and testing shall not unreasonably interfere with onsite activities.
(b) Written agreements
The Secretary shall enter into written agreements with the Governor of the State in which an identified site is located or with the governing body of any affected Indian tribe where an identified site is located in order to expedite the consultation and cooperation process. Any such written agreement shall specify—
(1) procedures by which such Governor or governing body may study, determine, comment on, and make recommendations with regard to the possible health, safety, and economic impacts of the test and evaluation facility;
(2) procedures by which the Secretary shall consider and respond to comments and recommendations made by such Governor or governing body, including the period in which the Secretary shall so respond;
(3) the documents the Department is to submit to such Governor or governing body, the timing for such submissions, the timing for such Governor or governing body to identify public health and safety concerns and the process to be followed to try to eliminate those concerns;
(4) procedures by which the Secretary and either such Governor or governing body may review or modify the agreement periodically; and
(5) procedures for public notification of the procedures specified under subparagraphs (A) through (D).
Except as specifically provided in this section, nothing in this subchapter is intended to grant any State or affected Indian tribe any authority with respect to the siting, development, or loading of the test and evaluation facility.