The general purpose of the John E. Fogarty International Center for Advanced Study in the Health Sciences is to—
(1) facilitate the assembly of scientists and others in the biomedical, behavioral, and related fields for discussion, study, and research relating to the development of health science internationally;
(2) provide research programs, conferences, and seminars to further international cooperation and collaboration in the life sciences;
(3) provide postdoctorate fellowships for research training in the United States and abroad and promote exchanges of senior scientists between the United States and other countries;
(4) coordinate the activities of the National Institutes of Health concerned with the health sciences internationally; and
(5) receive foreign visitors to the National Institutes of Health.