(a) Applications for biomedical and behavioral research grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts; regulations
(1) The Secretary, acting through the Director of NIH, shall by regulation require appropriate technical and scientific peer review of—
(A) applications made for grants and cooperative agreements under this chapter for biomedical and behavioral research; and
(B) applications made for biomedical and behavioral research and development contracts to be administered through the National Institutes of Health.
(2) Regulations promulgated under paragraph (1) shall require that the review of applications made for grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements required by the regulations be conducted—
(A) to the extent practical, in a manner consistent with the system for technical and scientific peer review applicable on November 20, 1985, to grants under this chapter for biomedical and behavioral research, and
(B) to the extent practical, by technical and scientific peer review groups performing such review on or before November 20, 1985,
and shall authorize such review to be conducted by groups appointed under sections 282(b)(16) and 284(c)(3) of this title.
(b) Periodic review of research at National Institutes of Health
The Director of NIH shall establish procedures for periodic technical and scientific peer review of research at the National Institutes of Health. Such procedures shall require that—
(1) the reviewing entity be provided a written description of the research to be reviewed, and
(2) the reviewing entity provide the advisory council of the national research institute involved with such description and the results of the review by the entity,
and shall authorize such review to be conducted by groups appointed under sections 282(b)(6) and 284(c)(3) of this title.
(c) Compliance with requirements for inclusion of women and minorities in clinical research
(1) In technical and scientific peer review under this section of proposals for clinical research, the consideration of any such proposal (including the initial consideration) shall, except as provided in paragraph (2), include an evaluation of the technical and scientific merit of the proposal regarding compliance with section 289a–2 of this title.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any proposal for clinical research that, pursuant to subsection (b) of section 289a–2 of this title, is not subject to the requirement of subsection (a) of such section regarding the inclusion of women and members of minority groups as subjects in clinical research.
References in Text
1993—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 103–43 added subsec. (c).
Effective Date of 2007 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 109–482 applicable only with respect to amounts appropriated for fiscal year 2007 or subsequent fiscal years, see section 109 of Pub. L. 109–482, set out as a note under section 281 of this title.1 See References in Text note below.