(a) Appropriations to carry out the purposes of this subchapter, unless otherwise expressly provided, may be expended in the District of Columbia for—
(1) personal services;
(2) stenographic recording and translating services;
(3) travel expenses (including the expenses of attendance at meetings when specifically authorized by the Secretary);
(5) supplies and equipment;
(6) purchase and exchange of medical books, books of reference, directories, periodicals, newspapers, and press clippings;
(7) purchase, operation, and maintenance of passenger motor vehicles;
(8) printing and binding (in addition to that otherwise provided by law); and
(9) all other necessary expenses in carrying out this subchapter.
Such appropriations may be expended by contract if deemed necessary, without regard to section 6101 of title 41.
(1) None of the amounts appropriated under this chapter for the purposes of this subchapter may be obligated for the construction of facilities (including the acquisition of land) unless a provision of this subchapter establishes express authority for such purpose and unless the Act making appropriations under such provision specifies that the amounts appropriated are available for such purpose.
(2) Any grants, cooperative agreements, or contracts authorized in this subchapter for the construction of facilities may be awarded only on a competitive basis.
In subsec. (a), "section 6101 of title 41" substituted for "section 3709 of the Revised Statutes (41 U.S.C. 5)" on authority of Pub. L. 111–350, §6(c), Jan. 4, 2011, 124 Stat. 3854, which Act enacted Title 41, Public Contracts.
1993—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 103–43 substituted "Appropriations to carry out the purposes of this subchapter" for "Such appropriations".
1989—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 101–190 designated existing provisions as subsec. (a), struck out first sentence which read as follows: "Appropriations to carry out the purposes of this subchapter shall be available for the acquisition of land or the erection of buildings only if so specified.", and added subsec. (b).
Construction of Biomedical Facilities for Development and Breeding of Specialized Strains of Mice
Pub. L. 101–190, §§1–7, Nov. 29, 1989, 103 Stat. 1691–1695, as amended by Pub. L. 101–374, §4(a), (c)(1), Aug. 15, 1990, 104 Stat. 458, 459, authorized a reservation of funds for making a grant to construct facilities for development and breeding of specialized strains of mice for use in biomedical research, provided for a competitive grant award process, required applicant for the grant to agree to a twenty-year transferable obligation, restricted grant applicant to public or nonprofit private status, with assurances of sufficient financial resources, set forth other grant requirements, and specified consequences of failure to comply with agreements and violation of the twenty-year obligation.