(1) the owner of the vessel or the representative or agent of the owner knowingly falsifies or conceals a material fact, or knowingly makes a false statement or representation, about the documentation of the vessel or in applying for documentation of the vessel;
(2) a certificate of documentation is knowingly and fraudulently used for the vessel;
(3) the vessel is operated after its endorsement has been denied or revoked under section 12152 of this title;
(4) the vessel is employed in a trade without an appropriate endorsement;
(5) the vessel has only a recreational endorsement and is operated other than for pleasure;
(6) the vessel is a documented vessel and is placed under the command of a person not a citizen of the United States, except as authorized by section 12131(b) of this title; or
(7) the vessel is rebuilt outside the United States and a report of the rebuilding is not submitted as required by section 12139(b) of this title.
|Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|46 App.:14 (last proviso).||R.S. §4136 (last proviso); Feb. 24, 1915, ch. 57, 38 Stat. 812; Pub. L. 103–182, title VI, §686(a)(4), Dec. 8, 1993, 107 Stat. 2220.|
|46 App.:883a (2d, last sentences).||July 14, 1956, ch. 600, §2 (2d, last sentences), 70 Stat. 544; Pub. L. 86–583, §2, July 5, 1960, 74 Stat. 321.|
In subsection (b), in restating 46 App. U.S.C. 883a (2d, last sentences), the penalty of $200 for the owner and master of the vessel is omitted because subsection (a) provides a general civil penalty for violation of this chapter. The authority to remit or mitigate a penalty under section 2107(b) is omitted because section 2107(b) applies to subtitle II and this section is in subtitle II.
2012—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 112–213 designated existing provisions as par. (1), inserted par. (1) heading, substituted "Except as provided in paragraph (2), a person that violates" for "A person that violates" and "$15,000" for "$10,000", and added par. (2).