(a) Use the clause at 252.227-7013, Rights in Technical Data-Noncommercial Items, in solicitations and contracts, including solicitations and contracts using FAR part 12 procedures for the acquisition of commercial items, when the successful offeror(s) will be required to deliver to the Government technical data pertaining to noncommercial items, or pertaining to commercial items for which the Government will have paid for any portion of the development costs (in which case the clause at 252.227-7013 will govern the technical data pertaining to any portion of a commercial item that was developed in any part at Government expense, and the clause at 252.227-7015 will govern the technical data pertaining to any portion of a commercial item that was developed exclusively at private expense). Do not use the clause when the only deliverable items are computer software or computer software documentation (see 227.72), commercial items developed exclusively at private expense (see 227.7102-4), existing works (see 227.7105), special works (see 227.7106), or when contracting under the Small Business Innovation Research Program (see 227.7104). Except as provided in 227.7107-2, do not use the clause in architect-engineer and construction contracts.
(1) Use the clause at 252.227-7013 with its Alternate I in research solicitations and contracts, including research solicitations and contracts using FAR part 12 procedures for the acquisition of commercial items, when the contracting officer determines, in consultation with counsel, that public dissemination by the contractor would be—
(i) In the interest of the government; and
(ii) Facilitated by the Government relinquishing its right to publish the work for sale, or to have others publish the work for sale on behalf of the Government.
(2) Use the clause at 252.227-7013 with its Alternate II in solicitations and contracts, including solicitations and contracts using FAR part 12 procedures for the acquisition of commercial items, that are for the development or delivery of a vessel design or any useful article embodying a vessel design.
(c) Use the clause at 252.227-7025, Limitations on the Use or Disclosure of Government Furnished Information Marked with Restrictive Legends, in solicitations and contracts when it is anticipated that the Government will provide the contractor (other than a litigation support contractor covered by 252.204-7014), for performance of its contract, technical data marked with another contractor's restrictive legend(s).
(d) Use the provision at 252.227-7028, Technical Data or Computer Software Previously Delivered to the Government, in solicitations when the resulting contract will require the contractor to deliver technical data. The provision requires offerors to identify any technical data specified in the solicitations as deliverable data items that are the same or substantially the same as data items the offeror has delivered or is obligated to deliver, either as a contractor or subcontractor, under any other federal agency contract.
(e) Use the following clauses in solicitations and contracts that include the clause at 252.227-7013:
(1) 252.227-7016, Rights in Bid or Proposal Information;
(2) 252.227-7030, Technical Data—Withholding of Payment; and
(3) 252.227-7037, Validation of Restrictive Markings on Technical Data (paragraph (e) of the clause contains information that must be included in a challenge).
[60 FR 33471, June 28, 1995; 60 FR 41157, Aug. 11, 1995; 60 FR 61598, Nov. 30, 1995; 62 FR 2613, Jan. 17, 1997; 69 FR 31911, June 8, 2004; 74 FR 61044, Nov. 23, 2009; 76 FR 58147, Sept. 20, 2011; 78 FR 37988, June 25, 2013; 79 FR 11340, Feb. 28, 2014]