(a) Annual report
In any year in which the President submits to Congress, under section 1105 of title 31, the budget for a fiscal year that requests funds for the Department of Defense for activities or assistance under the Program, the Secretary of Defense, after consultation with the Secretary of State, shall submit to the congressional defense committees, the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the House of Representatives, and the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate a report on the activities and assistance carried out under the Program.
Each report under subsection (a) shall be submitted not later than the first Monday in February of a year.
(c) Matters included
Each report under subsection (a) shall include the following:
(1) An estimate of the total amount that will be required to be expended by the United States during the fiscal year covered by the budget described in subsection (a) in order to achieve the objectives of the Program.
(2) A five-year plan setting forth the amount of funds and other resources proposed to be provided by the United States for the Program during the period covered by the plan, including the purpose for which such funds and resources will be used.
(3) A description of the activities and assistance carried out under the Program during the fiscal year preceding the submission of the report, including—
(A) the funds notified, obligated, and expended for such activities and assistance and the purposes for which such funds were notified, obligated, and expended for such fiscal year and cumulatively for the Program;
(B) a description of the participation, if any, of each department and agency of the Federal Government in such activities and assistance;
(C) a description of such activities and assistance, including the forms of assistance provided;
(D) a description of the United States private sector participation in the portion of such activities and assistance that were supported by the obligation and expenditure of funds for the Program; and
(E) such other information as the Secretary considers appropriate to fully inform Congress of the operation of activities and assistance carried out under the Program, including, with respect to proposed demilitarization or conversion projects, information on the progress toward demilitarization of facilities and the conversion of the demilitarized facilities to civilian activities.
(4) A description of the means (including program management, audits, examinations, and other means) used by the United States during the fiscal year preceding the submission of the report to ensure that assistance provided under the Program is fully accounted for, that such assistance is being used for its intended purpose, and that such assistance is being used efficiently and effectively, including—
(A) if such assistance consisted of equipment, a description of the current location of such equipment and the current condition of such equipment;
(B) if such assistance consisted of contracts or other services, a description of the status of such contracts or services and the methods used to ensure that such contracts and services are being used for their intended purpose;
(C) a determination whether the assistance described in subparagraphs (A) and (B) has been used for its intended purpose and an assessment of whether the assistance being provided is being used effectively and efficiently; and
(D) a description of the efforts planned to be carried out during the fiscal year beginning in the year of the report to ensure that Department of Defense Cooperative Threat Reduction assistance provided during such fiscal year is fully accounted for and is used for its intended purpose.
(5) A description of the defense and military activities carried out under section 3711(a)(6) of this title during the fiscal year preceding the submission of the report, including—
(A) the amount of funds obligated or expended for such activities;
(B) the strategy, goals, and objectives for which such funds were obligated and expended;
(C) a description of the activities carried out, including the forms of assistance provided, and the justification for each form of assistance provided;
(D) the success of each activity, including the goals and objectives achieved for each activity;
(E) a description of participation by private sector entities in the United States in carrying out such activities, and the participation of any other department or agency of the Federal Government in such activities; and
(F) any other information that the Secretary considers relevant to provide a complete description of the operation and success of activities carried out under the Program.
Termination of Reporting Requirements
For termination, effective Dec. 31, 2021, of provisions of this section requiring submittal of report to Congress, see section 1061 of Pub. L. 114–328, set out as a note under section 111 of Title 10, Armed Forces.