The stockpile consists of the following materials:
(1) Materials acquired under this subchapter and contained in the national stockpile on July 29, 1979.
(2) Materials acquired under this subchapter after July 29, 1979.
(3) Materials in the supplemental stockpile established by section 1704(b) of title 7 (as in effect from September 21, 1959, through December 31, 1966) on July 29, 1979.
(4) Materials acquired by the United States under the provisions of section 4533 of this title and transferred to the stockpile by the President pursuant to subsection (f) of such section.
(5) Materials transferred to the United States under section 2423 of title 22 that have been determined to be strategic and critical materials for the purposes of this subchapter and that are allocated by the President under subsection (b) of such section for stockpiling in the stockpile.
(6) Materials acquired by the Commodity Credit Corporation and transferred to the stockpile under section 714b(h) of title 15.
(7) Materials acquired by the Commodity Credit Corporation under paragraph (2) of section 1743(a) of title 7, and transferred to the stockpile under the third sentence of such section.
(8) Materials transferred to the stockpile by the President under paragraph (4) of section 1743(a) of title 7.
(9) Materials transferred to the stockpile under subsection (b).
(10) Materials transferred to the stockpile under subsection (c).
(b) Transfer and reimbursement
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any material that (1) is under the control of any department or agency of the United States, (2) is determined by the head of such department or agency to be excess to its needs and responsibilities, and (3) is suitable for transfer or disposal through the stockpile shall be transferred to the stockpile. Any such transfer shall be made without reimbursement to such department or agency, but all costs required to effect such transfer shall be paid or reimbursed from funds appropriated to carry out this subchapter.
(c) Transfer and disposal
The Secretary of Defense shall determine whether materials are suitable for transfer to the stockpile under subsection (b), are suitable for disposal through the stockpile, and are uncontaminated.
References in Text
Section 1704(b) of title 7, referred to in subsec. (a)(3), was amended generally by Pub. L. 101–624, title XV, §1512, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 3635, and, as so amended, no longer contains provisions relating to a supplemental stockpile.
A prior section 98c, acts June 7, 1939, ch. 190, §4, 53 Stat. 811; July 23, 1946, ch. 590, 60 Stat. 598; 1953 Reorg. Plan No. 3, §2(b), eff. June 12, 1953, 18 F.R. 3375, 67 Stat. 634; 1958 Reorg. Plan No. 1, §2, eff. July 1, 1958, 23 F.R. 4991, 72 Stat. 1799; Oct. 21, 1968, Pub. L. 90–608, §402, 82 Stat. 1194; Ex. Ord. No. 11725, §3, eff. June 29, 1973, 38 F.R. 17175; Apr. 21, 1976, Pub. L. 94–273, §37, 90 Stat. 380, required reports to Congress, prior to repeal by section 2(a) of Pub. L. 96–41. See section 98h–2 of this title.
2016—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 114–328, §1412(a)(1), substituted "suitable for transfer or disposal through" for "required for".
Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 114–328, §1412(a)(2), struck out "(2)" before "The Secretary", substituted "subsection (b)" for "this subsection", and struck out par. (1) which read as follows: "The Secretary of Energy, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall transfer to the stockpile for disposal in accordance with this subchapter uncontaminated materials that are in the Department of Energy inventory of materials for the production of defense-related items, are excess to the requirements of the Department for that purpose, and are suitable for transfer to the stockpile and disposal through the stockpile."
2008—Subsec. (a)(3). Pub. L. 110–246 made technical amendment to reference in original act which appears in text as reference to section 1704(b) of title 7.
1996—Subsec. (a)(10). Pub. L. 104–106, §3311(b), added par. (10).
Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 104–106, §3311(a), added subsec. (c).
1986—Pub. L. 99–661 substituted "on July 29, 1979" for "on the day before the date of the date of enactment of the Strategic and Critical Materials Stock Piling Revision Act of 1979" in pars. (1) and (3), and "after July 29, 1979" for "on or after the date of the enactment of the Strategic and Critical Materials Stock Piling Revision Act of 1979" in par. (2).
Effective Date of 2008 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 110–246 effective May 22, 2008, see section 4(b) of Pub. L. 110–246, set out as an Effective Date note under section 8701 of Title 7, Agriculture.
Clarification of Stockpile Status of Certain Materials
Pub. L. 102–484, div. C, title XXXIII, §3315, Oct. 23, 1992, 106 Stat. 2654, as amended by Pub. L. 103–337, div. A, title X, §1070(c)(4), Oct. 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 2858, provided that: "All materials purchased under section 303 of the Defense Production Act of 1950 (50 U.S.C. App. 2093) [now 50 U.S.C. 4533] and held in the Defense Production Act inventory as of June 30, 1992, are hereby transferred to the National Defense Stockpile and shall be managed, controlled, and subject to disposal by the National Defense Stockpile Manager as provided in the Strategic and Critical Materials Stock Piling Act (50 U.S.C. 98a et seq.) [50 U.S.C. 98 et seq.]."