(a) Participation agreements
An agreement with any institution of higher education for participation in the direct student loan program under this part shall—
(1) provide for the establishment and maintenance of a direct student loan program at the institution under which the institution will—
(A) identify eligible students who seek student financial assistance at such institution in accordance with section 1091 of this title;
(B) estimate the need of each such student as required by part F of this subchapter for an academic year, except that, any loan obtained by a student under this part with the same terms as loans made under section 1078–8 of this title (except as otherwise provided in this part), or a loan obtained by a parent under this part with the same terms as loans made under section 1078–2 of this title (except as otherwise provided in this part), or obtained under any State-sponsored or private loan program, may be used to offset the expected family contribution of the student for that year;
(C) provide a statement that certifies the eligibility of any student to receive a loan under this part that is not in excess of the annual or aggregate limit applicable to such loan, except that the institution may, in exceptional circumstances identified by the Secretary, refuse to certify a statement that permits a student to receive a loan under this part, or certify a loan amount that is less than the student's determination of need (as determined under part F of this subchapter), if the reason for such action is documented and provided in written form to such student;
(D) set forth a schedule for disbursement of the proceeds of the loan in installments, consistent with the requirements of section 1078–7 of this title; and
(E) provide timely and accurate information—
(i) concerning the status of student borrowers (and students on whose behalf parents borrow under this part) while such students are in attendance at the institution and concerning any new information of which the institution becomes aware for such students (or their parents) after such borrowers leave the institution, to the Secretary for the servicing and collecting of loans made under this part; and
(ii) if the institution does not have an agreement with the Secretary under subsection (b), concerning student eligibility and need, as determined under subparagraphs (A) and (B), to the Secretary as needed for the alternative origination of loans to eligible students and parents in accordance with this part;
(2) provide assurances that the institution will comply with requirements established by the Secretary relating to student loan information with respect to loans made under this part;
(3) provide that the institution accepts responsibility and financial liability stemming from its failure to perform its functions pursuant to the agreement;
(4) provide for the implementation of a quality assurance system, as established by the Secretary and developed in consultation with institutions of higher education, to ensure that the institution is complying with program requirements and meeting program objectives;
(5) provide that the institution will not charge any fees of any kind, however described, to student or parent borrowers for origination activities or the provision of any information necessary for a student or parent to receive a loan under this part, or any benefits associated with such loan; and
(6) include such other provisions as the Secretary determines are necessary to protect the interests of the United States and to promote the purposes of this part.
An agreement with any institution of higher education, or consortia thereof, for the origination of loans under this part shall—
(1) supplement the agreement entered into in accordance with subsection (a);
(2) include provisions established by the Secretary that are similar to the participation agreement provisions described in paragraphs (1)(E)(ii), (2), (3), (4), (5), and (6) of subsection (a), as modified to relate to the origination of loans by the institution or consortium;
(3) provide that the institution or consortium will originate loans to eligible students and parents in accordance with this part; and
(4) provide that the note or evidence of obligation on the loan shall be the property of the Secretary.
(c) Withdrawal and termination procedures
The Secretary shall establish procedures by which institutions or consortia may withdraw or be terminated from the program under this part.
2010—Subsec. (a)(4) to (7). Pub. L. 111–152, §2210(a)(1), redesignated pars. (5) to (7) as (4) to (6), respectively, and struck out former par. (4), which read as follows: "provide that students at the institution and their parents (with respect to such students) will be eligible to participate in the programs under part B of this subchapter at the discretion of the Secretary for the period during which such institution participates in the direct student loan program under this part, except that a student or parent may not receive loans under both this part and part B of this subchapter for the same period of enrollment;".
Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 111–152, §2210(a)(2), substituted "(5), and (6)" for "(5), (6), and (7)".
1993—Pub. L. 103–66 amended section generally, substituting provisions relating to agreements with institutions, consisting of subsecs. (a) to (c), for former provisions relating to requirements of agreements, consisting of pars. (1) to (7).
1992—Pub. L. 102–325 amended section generally, substituting provisions relating to requirements of agreements for former provisions relating to terms of loans under pilot program.
1987—Subsec. (a)(4). Pub. L. 100–50 amended par. (4) generally. Prior to amendment, par. (4) read as follows: "The interest rate on all such loans shall be the rate equal to the rate obtained for each calendar year (A) by computing the average of the bond equivalent rates of 91-day Treasury bills auctioned for such 3-month period preceding such year, and (B) by adding 3 percent to the resulting percent."
Effective Date of 2010 Amendment
Pub. L. 111–152, title II, §2210(b), Mar. 30, 2010, 124 Stat. 1078, provided that: "The amendments made by subsection (a) [amending this section] shall take effect on July 1, 2010."
Effective Date of 1992 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 102–325 effective Oct. 1, 1992, see section 2 of Pub. L. 102–325, set out as a note under section 1001 of this title.
Effective Date of 1987 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 100–50 effective as if enacted as part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1986, Pub. L. 99–498, see section 27 of Pub. L. 100–50, set out as a note under section 1001 of this title.