(a) Primary functions
The primary functions of the Institute shall be—
(1) to provide scholarly study of, and instruction in, Indian art and culture, and
(2) to establish programs which culminate in the awarding of degrees in the various fields of Indian art and culture.
(b) Administrative entities
(1) The Board shall be responsible for establishing the policies and internal organization that relate to the control and monitoring of all subdivisions, administrative entities, and departments of the Institute.
(2) The specific responsibilities of each subdivision, entity, and department of the Institute are solely within the discretion of the Board, or its designee.
(3) The Board shall establish, within the Institute, departments for the study of culture and arts and for research and exchange, and a museum. The Board shall establish the areas of competency for the departments created under this paragraph, which may include (but are not limited to) Departments of Arts and Sciences, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Language, Literature and Museology and a learning resources center, programs of institutional support and development, research programs, fellowship programs, seminars, publications, scholar-in-residence programs and inter-institutional programs of cooperation at national and international levels.
(c) Other programs
In addition to the centers and programs described in subsection (b), the Institute shall develop such programs and centers as the Board determines are necessary to—
(1) foster research and scholarship in Indian art and culture through—
(A) resident programs;
(B) cooperative programs; and
(C) grant programs;
(2) complement existing tribal programs for the advancement of Indian art and culture; and
(3) coordinate efforts to preserve, support, revitalize, and develop evolving forms of Indian art and culture.
1992—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 102–325 amended subsec. (b) generally. Prior to amendment, subsec. (b) read as follows: "There shall be established within the Institute—
"(1) a Center for Culture and Art Studies to be administered by a director (appointed by the President of the Institute, with the approval of the Board), which shall include (but not be limited to) Departments of Arts and Sciences, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Language, Literature, and Museology;
"(2) a Center for Research and Cultural Exchange, administered by a director (appointed by the President of the Institute, with the approval of the Board), which shall include—
"(A) a learning resources center;
"(B) programs of institutional support and development;
"(C) research programs;
"(D) fellowship programs;
"(G) scholar-in-residence and artist-in-residence programs; and
"(H) inter-institutional programs of cooperation at national and international levels; and
"(3) a Museum of American Indian and Alaska Native Arts, which shall be under the direction of the President of the Institute."
1990—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 101–644, §502(1), redesignated subpars. (B) to (I) as (A) to (H), respectively, and struck out former subpar. (A) which related to a museum of Indian arts.
Subsec. (b)(3). Pub. L. 101–644, §502(2)–(4), added par. (3).