(a) In general
The Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution shall appoint—
(1) a Director who, subject to the policies of the Board of Trustees, shall manage the National Museum; and
(2) other employees of the National Museum, to serve under the Director.
(b) Offer of employment to Heye Foundation employees
Each employee of the Heye Museum on the day before the date of the transfer of the Heye Foundation assets to the Smithsonian Institution shall be offered employment with the Smithsonian Institution—
(1) under the usual terms of such employment; and
(2) at a rate of pay not less than the rate applicable to the employee on the day before the date of the transfer.
(c) Applicability of certain civil service laws
The Secretary may—
(1) appoint the Director, 2 employees under subsection (a)(2), and the employees under subsection (b) without regard to the provisions of title 5, governing appointments in the competitive service;
(2) fix the pay of the Director and such 2 employees without regard to the provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of such title, relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates; and
(3) fix the pay of the employees under subsection (b) in accordance with the provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of such title, relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates, subject to subsection (b)(2).