(1) the international character of the Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (done at The Hague on May 29, 1993); and
(2) the need for uniform interpretation and implementation of the Convention in the United States and abroad,
and therefore finds that enactment of a Federal law governing adoptions and prospective adoptions subject to the Convention involving United States residents is essential.
The purposes of this chapter are—
(1) to provide for implementation by the United States of the Convention;
(2) to protect the rights of, and prevent abuses against, children, birth families, and adoptive parents involved in adoptions (or prospective adoptions) subject to the Convention, and to ensure that such adoptions are in the children's best interests; and
(3) to improve the ability of the Federal Government to assist United States citizens seeking to adopt children from abroad and residents of other countries party to the Convention seeking to adopt children from the United States.
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in subsec. (b), was in the original "this Act", meaning Pub. L. 106–279, Oct. 6, 2000, 114 Stat. 825, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out below and Tables.
Effective Dates; Transition Rule
Pub. L. 106–279, title V, §505, Oct. 6, 2000, 114 Stat. 844, provided that:
"(1) in the case of a child immigrating to the United States, if the application for advance processing of an orphan petition or petition to classify an orphan as an immediate relative for the child is filed before the effective date described in subsection (a)(2); or
"(2) in the case of a child emigrating from the United States, if the prospective adoptive parents of the child initiated the adoption process in their country of residence with the filing of an appropriate application before the effective date described in subsection (a)(2)."
Short Title of 2013 Amendment
Pub. L. 112–276, §1, Jan. 14, 2013, 126 Stat. 2466, provided that: "This Act [enacting section 14925 of this title, amending sections 14922 and 14943 of this title, and enacting provisions set out as a note under section 14925 of this title] may be cited as the 'Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act of 2012'."
Pub. L. 106–279, §1(a), Oct. 6, 2000, 114 Stat. 825, provided that: "This Act [enacting this chapter and amending section 622 of this title and sections 1101 and 1154 of Title 8, Aliens and Nationality] may be cited as the 'Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000'."