(a) In general
On the application of an eligible recipient, the Secretary may make grants for—
(1) acquisition or development of land and improvements for use for a public works, public service, or development facility; and
(2) acquisition, design and engineering, construction, rehabilitation, alteration, expansion, or improvement of such a facility, including related machinery and equipment.
(b) Criteria for grant
The Secretary may make a grant under this section only if the Secretary determines that—
(1) the project for which the grant is applied for will, directly or indirectly—
(A) improve the opportunities, in the area where the project is or will be located, for the successful establishment or expansion of industrial or commercial plants or facilities;
(B) assist in the creation of additional long-term employment opportunities in the area; or
(C) primarily benefit the long-term unemployed and members of low-income families;
(2) the project for which the grant is applied for will fulfill a pressing need of the area, or a part of the area, in which the project is or will be located; and
(3) the area for which the project is to be carried out has a comprehensive economic development strategy and the project is consistent with the strategy.
(c) Maximum assistance for each State
Not more than 15 percent of the amounts made available to carry out this section may be expended in any 1 State.
A prior section 3141, Pub. L. 89–136, title II, §201, Aug. 26, 1965, 79 Stat. 554; Pub. L. 91–304, §1(b), July 6, 1970, 84 Stat. 375; Pub. L. 92–65, title I, §104, Aug. 5, 1971, 85 Stat. 167; Pub. L. 93–46, §2, June 18, 1973, 87 Stat. 96; Pub. L. 93–423, §4(a), Sept. 27, 1974, 88 Stat. 1158; Pub. L. 94–487, title I, §107(a), (b), Oct. 12, 1976, 90 Stat. 2332; Pub. L. 96–506, §1(3), Dec. 8, 1980, 94 Stat. 2745; Pub. L. 97–35, title XVIII, §1821(a)(2), Aug. 13, 1981, 95 Stat. 766, authorized public works and development facility loans, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 105–393, §102(a).