(a) Acceptance of State agency certification
Notwithstanding sections 4630 and 4655 of this title, the head of a Federal agency may discharge any of his responsibilities under this chapter by accepting a certification by a State agency that it will carry out such responsibility, if the head of the lead agency determines that such responsibility will be carried out in accordance with State laws which will accomplish the purpose and effect of this chapter.
(b) Promulgation of regulations; notice and comment; consultation with local governments
(1) The head of the lead agency shall issue regulations to carry out this section.
(2) Repealed. Pub. L. 104–66, title I, §1121(f), Dec. 21, 1995, 109 Stat. 724.
(3) Before making a determination regarding any State law under subsection (a) of this section, the head of the lead agency shall provide interested parties with an opportunity for public review and comment. In particular, the head of the lead agency shall consult with interested local general purpose governments within the State on the effects of such State law on the ability of local governments to carry out their responsibilities under this chapter.
(c) Effect of noncompliance with certification or with applicable law
(1) The head of a Federal agency may withhold his approval of any Federal financial assistance to or contract or cooperative agreement with any displacing agency found by the Federal agency to have failed to comply with the laws described in subsection (a) of this section.
(2) After consultation with the head of the lead agency, the head of a Federal agency may rescind his acceptance of any certification under this section, in whole or in part, if the State agency fails to comply with such certification or with State law.
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in subsecs. (a) and (b)(3), was in the original "this Act", meaning Pub. L. 91–646, Jan. 2, 1971, 84 Stat. 1894, known as the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 4601 of this title and Tables.
1995—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 104–66 struck out par. (2) which read as follows: "The head of the lead agency shall, in coordination with other Federal agencies, monitor from time to time, and report biennially to the Congress on, State agency implementation of this section. A State agency shall make available any information required for such purpose."
Section effective on effective date provided in regulations promulgated under section 4633 of this title (as amended by section 412 of Pub. L. 100–17), but not later than 2 years after Apr. 2, 1987, see section 418 of Pub. L. 100–17, set out as an Effective Date of 1987 Amendment note under section 4601 of this title.