(a) Areas and trails to be opened to off-road vehicle use shall be located:
(1) To minimize the potential hazards to public health and safety, other than the normal risks involved in off-road vehicle use.
(2) To minimize damage to soil watershed, vegetation, or other resources of the public lands.
(3) To minimize harassment of wildlife or significant disruption of wildlife habitats.
(4) To minimize conflicts between off-road vehicle use and other existing or proposed recreational uses of the same or neighboring public lands, and to ensure compatibility of uses with existing conditions in populated areas, taking into account noise and other factors.
(5) In furtherance of the purposes and policy of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (Pub. L. 91-190, 83 Stat. 852).
(b) Areas and trails shall not be located in areas possessing unique natural, wildlife, historic, cultural, archeological, or recreational values unless the Commissioner determines that these unique values will not be adversely affected.