45 CFR § 33.11
Salary offset when the Department is the creditor agency but not the paying agency
April 14, 2021

(a) Centralized administrative offset.

(1) Under 31 U.S.C. 3716, the Department shall notify the Secretary of the Treasury of all past-due, legally enforceable debts which are 180 days delinquent for purposes of collection by centralized administrative offset. This includes debts which the Department seeks to recover from the pay account of an employee of another agency via salary offset. The Secretary of the Treasury and other Federal disbursing officials will match payments, including Federal salary payments, against these debts. Where a match occurs, and all the requirements for offset have been met, the payments will be offset to collect the debt.

(2) Prior to offset of the pay account of an employee, the Department must comply with the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 5514; 5 CFR part 550, subpart K, and this part. Specific procedures for notifying the Secretary of the Treasury of a debt for purposes of collection by administrative offset, including salary offset, are contained in 31 CFR parts 285 and 901 and part 30 of this title.

(b) Non-centralized administrative offset. When salary offset through centralized administrative offset under paragraph (a) of this section is not possible, the Department may attempt to collect a debt through non-centralized administrative offset in accordance with part 30 of this title.

(1) Format of the request. Upon completion of the procedures established in this part and pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 5514, the Department shall:

(i) Certify in writing to the paying agency that the employee owes the debt, the amount and basis of the debt, the date on which payment(s) is due, the date the Government's right to collect the debt first accrued, and that the Departmental regulations implementing 5 U.S.C. 5514 have been approved by the Office of Personnel Management.

(ii) If the collection is to be made in installments, advise the paying agency of the number of installments to be collected, the amount or percentage of disposable pay to be collected in each installment, and the commencement date of the installments, if a date other than the next officially established pay period is required.

(iii) Unless the employee has consented in writing to the salary deductions or signed a statement acknowledging receipt of the required procedures and this written consent or statement is forwarded to the paying agency, advise the paying agency of the action(s) taken under 5 U.S.C. 5514 and this part, and give the date(s) the action(s) was taken.

(2) Requesting recovery from current paying agency.

(i) Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, the Department shall submit a certified debt claim containing the information specified in paragraph (a) of this section, and an installment agreement, or other instruction on the payment schedule, if applicable, to the employee's paying agency.

(ii) If the employee is in the process of separating from the Federal Government, the Department shall submit the certified debt claim to the employee's paying agency for collection as provided in §33.10(e). The paying agency must certify the total amount of its collection on the debt and send a copy of the certification to the employee and another copy to the Department. If the paying agency's collection does not fully satisfy the debt, and the paying agency is aware that the employee is entitled to payments from the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, or other similar payments that may be due the employee from other Federal Government sources, the paying agency will provide written notification of the outstanding debt to the agency responsible for making such payments to the employee, stating the employee owes a debt, the amount of the debt, and that the provisions of this section have been fully complied with. The Department must submit a properly certified claim to the agency responsible for making such payments before the collection can be made.

(iii) If the employee is already separated and all payments due from the employee's former paying agency have been paid, the Department may request, unless otherwise prohibited, that money due and payable to the employee from the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund (5 CFR 831.1801 or 5 CFR 845.401) or other similar funds, be administratively offset to collect the debt. See 31 U.S.C. 3716 and 31 CFR 901.3.

(iv) If the employee transfers to another paying agency, the Department must submit a properly certified debt claim to the new paying agency before collection can be resumed; however, the Department need not repeat the due process procedures described in 5 U.S.C. 5514 and this part. The Department shall review the debt to ensure that collection is resumed by the new paying agency.

Tried the LawStack mobile app?

Join thousands and try LawStack mobile for FREE today.

  • Carry the law offline, wherever you go.
  • Download CFR, USC, rules, and state law to your mobile device.