(1) is established by law or Executive order for a specific period not in excess of three years for the purpose of performing a specific study or other project; and
(2) is terminated upon the completion of the study or project or upon the occurrence of a condition related to the completion of the study or project.
(2) The period of an appointment under paragraph (1) may not exceed three years, except that under regulations prescribed by the Office of Personnel Management the period of appointment may be extended for up to an additional two years.
(3) The positions of employment in a temporary organization are in the excepted service of the civil service.
(2) The rate of basic pay for the chairman, a member, an executive director, a staff director, or another executive level position of a temporary organization may not exceed the maximum rate of basic pay established for the Senior Executive Service under section 5382 of this title.
(3) Except as provided in paragraph (4), the rate of basic pay for other positions in a temporary organization may not exceed the maximum rate of basic pay for grade GS–15 of the General Schedule under section 5332 of this title.
(4) The rate of basic pay for a senior staff position of a temporary organization may, in a case determined by the head of the temporary organization as exceptional, exceed the maximum rate of basic pay authorized under paragraph (3), but may not exceed the maximum rate of basic pay authorized for an executive level position under paragraph (2).
(5) In this subsection, the term "basic pay" includes locality pay provided for under section 5304 of this title.
(1) is being separated from the temporary organization for reasons other than misconduct, neglect of duty, or malfeasance; and
(2) applies for return not later than 30 days before the earlier of—
(A) the date of the termination of the employment in the temporary organization; or
(B) the date of the termination of the temporary organization.
(2) Donors of voluntary services accepted for a temporary organization under this subsection may include the following:
(C) Members of the commission, committee, board, or other temporary organization, as the case may be.
(D) A person performing services in any other capacity determined appropriate by the head of the temporary organization.
(3) The head of the temporary organization—
(A) shall ensure that each person performing voluntary services accepted under this subsection is notified of the scope of the voluntary services accepted;
(B) shall supervise the volunteer to the same extent as employees receiving compensation for similar services; and
(C) shall ensure that the volunteer has appropriate credentials or is otherwise qualified to perform in each capacity for which the volunteer's services are accepted.
(4) A person providing volunteer services accepted under this subsection shall be considered an employee of the Federal Government in the performance of those services for the purposes of the following provisions of law:
(A) Chapter 81 of this title, relating to compensation for work-related injuries.
(B) Chapter 171 of title 28, relating to tort claims.
(C) Chapter 11 of title 18, relating to conflicts of interest.