(a) Priority to be given to Indian organizations with respect to certain agreements
In entering into agreements with museums and other educational and cultural organizations to—
(1) lend Native American artifacts and objects from any collection of the Smithsonian Institution;
(2) sponsor or coordinate traveling exhibitions of artifacts and objects; or
(3) provide training or technical assistance;
the Board of Regents shall give priority to agreements with Indian organizations, including Indian tribes, museums, cultural centers, educational institutions, libraries, and archives. Such agreements may provide that loans or services to such organizations may be furnished by the Smithsonian Institution at minimal or no cost.
(b) Indian programs
The Board of Regents may establish—
(1) programs to serve Indian tribes and communities; and
(2) in cooperation with educational institutions, including tribally controlled colleges or universities (as defined in section 1801(a) of title 25), programs to enhance the opportunities for Indians in the areas of museum studies, management, and research.
(c) Indian Museum Management Fellowships
The Board of Regents shall establish an Indian Museum Management Fellowship program to provide stipend support to Indians for training in museum development and management.
(d) Authorization of appropriations
There is authorized to be appropriated $2,000,000 for each fiscal year, beginning with fiscal year 1991, to carry out subsections (b) and (c).
2008—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 110–315 substituted "tribally controlled colleges or universities (as defined in section 1801(a) of title 25)" for "tribally controlled community colleges (as defined in section 1801 of title 25)".
1998—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 105–244 made technical amendment to reference in original act which appears in text as reference to section 1801 of title 25.
Effective Date of 1998 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 105–244 effective Oct. 1, 1998, except as otherwise provided in Pub. L. 105–244, see section 3 of Pub. L. 105–244, set out as a note under section 1001 of this title.